Quite unusually, its a feeling of elation (while I am actually in the lab). And since happiness and lab dont quite go together always, I really want to capture this mood and have it frozen in time. Its just beautiful memories....
My room in my house. A nice bright saturday afternoon. 3:30 pm. Curtains pulled to the sides of the 4 windows. Sea breeze at its best while the fan runs noiselessly. Hot tea with some nice snack, pakodas usually. Lachcha with amma about everything trivial and important while we wait for paatu maami. Sooner or later she comes. I lay down the mat... actually calling it 'paai' gives the effect much better than 'mat', while amma and mami talk about health and neighbours. I wait for them to finish while the electronic tambura sounds in the background. I mentally plan up what I waana sing in class today. We start off.. a varnam, a small keerthanai, and then I tell mami - 'marivere'. She starts off with shanmukhapriya.. tries to teach me some small alapanai, and then we get to the song. I thoroughly enjoy the way I sound and the way the song turns out. Sheer bliss as the sangathis all turn out right. Clear indication that I have been singing very regularly. Kalpana swarams at the end of the song. Mami telling me...."Hum panninde irukkanum. Appo daan varum". In between amma brings sugarless coffee for mami. While she takes time to drink it, I think of the next song. A short but peppy one. And then we go on to the new song that I am learning at the moment. Mami writes it down and then teaches me the song. And by the time I finish its a little after 5.
Blissful days those were. A nice musical childhood it was. Wish I could get back to those days or atleast get back to the habit of singing my heart out. No care, no inhibitions, no matter how I sound. Just singing for myself with the faith that it reaches out to Him. I guess sometime I SHOULD get back to the hobby that was once a hugeee part of my childhood. Miss it terribly!
1 comment:
singing to urself is the best way to judge you singing talent...and especially thyagaraja kirthanas they are just so wonderful to listen and sing...i also sometimes indulge in singing (well i was a singer during my college days), but after coming here got involved only to myself..not able to find the right mix of people to team up...well i think i am not boring you with my comments here...
Post a Comment