Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Forbidden Question


While you are a PhD student, you hate to be asked "So when are you done?" That is THE most forbidden question. It's obviously hard enough to not know what you are doing, and to work in what seems an aimless manner towards a really distant goal.. and with that when someone comes and asks you THE question, you either feel like killing them or yourself!
For me, thankfully that is not the forbidden question now. It's changed to "What's next?" I'm in the process of figuring out what to do with the 5 years of work and degree.. and I keep realizing that I'm either too over qualified, or unfortunately under qualified!! Mebbe its just Murphy's law at its very best! Nobody ever wants a PhD! It's either BS/MS or PhD + 2-3 or sometimes even 5-9 years of post-doc experience! Holyyyy crap!
A recent confrontation with Mommy Dearest reminded me of how much its gonna take for me (and for her...) to continue down this path of science and research. I guess the challenges never end and its only getting tougher and tougher. In a whisk, the 5 year stint seems to be coming to an end.. and while I'm supposed to be happy and thrilled, the forbidden question is acting like the pin which bursts the bubble even before u let yourself be in a bubble of happiness!! Its keeping my reality under check. A devil's advocate of sorts. I know its only a matter of time.. a few months mebbe, before I find a new haven for myself and figure the answer to the forbidden question. Until then, I guess the best way for me to deal with it is to simply surrender and wait for Her to show me what to do with my life. She has guided me so far.. She will take care of this too! I have the faith. That is my answer for now.

No comments: