Thursday, July 23, 2009

Venusian Read...

OKAY.. I finally did decide to step in here and dust the cobwebs. Been actually wanting to write a lot about many different things... especially straight off my Asian travelogue.. But of course I didn't move my lazy ass! And well, as I was traveling thru those amazing places I didn't quite have access to the internet! So they remain memories and shall remain so until I decide to pen them another time...
But just to get started on this site again.. there's something I waana write about.

Alohaa! I FINALLY read the first book of the saga - Twilight! :) And my.. I really did enjoy it!

Several months back, on one of my regular surfings of thehindu.com, I found this "ad" asking people which series was better... Harry Potter or Twilight. Now me being the proudddddddd Potter maniac couldn't help but try and gather more information about this other series that actually dared to compete with the almighty! And I went to Stephenie Meyer's website and tried to find out what the fuss was all about. I gathered that she was talking about a teenage heroine who fell in love with a vampire hero! I was quite surprised that even after a movie had come out, I was still very unaware of this series.
And then I posted it on my FB profile that I wanted to read the book asap.. and well the responses I got were mostly positive. Most of my girl friends agreed that the book was very much "unputdownable" and that Edward was REALLY cute! And a few others also wanted to read it as they'd heard lots about it. Soon afterwards another one of my friends sent me all the 4 e-books (having read them after all that hullabuloo in my profile! :) But me and e-books.. quite sum distance apart. And so finally after several months I finally went to the public library and I got the book.
P who read the book before me told me that it was like reading a Nancy Drew.. and he didn't know why it was such a big deal. I just accepted his opinion and couldn't wait to start on it myself.
I started the book yesterday.. and well I must agree, I so enjoyed reading the book. I loved the author's style of writing. It is the typical teen chick flick, but I totally liked it. The hero is so absurdly heroic being a protective vampire, but at the end of the day I did find him cute. I was infact lost in thoughts imagining how it'd be having a vampire for a boy-friend!! Eeks! :D Talk about reading teenage books and becoming the inane teenager urself! :D (And I MUST add.. I've never touched a Mills-n-Boon ever in my life.. and am definitely not the dreamy romantic) Never-the-less, this book was a good read and I can't wait to lay my hands on the other books in the series.
It's definitely a girl's book. Talking about the venusians loving the book.. I read an "FML" in fmylife.com
"Today, my girlfriend dumped me proclaiming she wanted someone more like her "Edward". I asked her who Edward was. She held up a copy her "Twilight" book. She was talking about a fictional vampire. FML"

ROFL! That's the impact the book and "Edward" seem to be having on sum dumb kids! :D Poor martians I say!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi Venus

being an Asian expatriate myself was wondering how your Asia-trip went.

Must have had a good time...........