After what seems like years, I managed to attend a full fledged kutcheri here in the US. I can't believe this is my first one in my 5 year stint in this country. :O
Neyveli Santhanagopalan is an excellent singer and an amazing Guru. Ever since I saw his program Sa Ri Ga Ma Pa on Jaya TV, I've wanted to be under his tutelage. In fact if things had not worked out for me in the USA (my P.S and PhD n stuff..), I had plans of settling down in Chennai and becoming his student. He has an in-depth knowledge of carnatic music, and he seems to make sure his students know what they are doing when they singing a Krithi. In the show, he always explains to his students (and the audience) the meaning of the song implying indirectly where there should be more bhavam and Bhakthi. He also tells them the structure and intricracies of the ragam they are singing.. where the gamakas are beautiful.. so on and so forth.
In yesterday's concert, he was his usual self.. informal and very interactive with the audience. He had apparently promised a "jolly" concert in the beginning and that was how it turned out to be. He had varali (Kaa vaa vaa), Ranjani (Dun Marga cha ra), Deva Gandhari (Ksheera Sagara Sayana), RTP in Nalinakanthi (Nalinakanthi - Durbari kanada - Sahana) in his booty.
For me, the very feeling of listening to a cutcheri after such a long time, and that too with highly musically inclined company was just blissful! :) Reminded me that I should not lose touch with carnatic music/singing and forget the treasure that was once such an important part of my childhood.
Awaiting the next kutcheri - Sowmya on May 2nd.
1 comment:
you should keep singing nimmy!! Soumi and I keep talking about good ol' days all the time!
Post a Comment