Thursday, April 20, 2006

priorities!!!!

Question of what to read....

1. Eragon - seems very magical to keep away. And as I read it, I only seem to realise more n more why Tolkien should be worshipped as the Father of Magical Genre Writing...I've been reading some books on the same line....
  • Reading, re-reading, and revising the 6 Harry Potters...and off late started a collection of the potter dvds.. so took it on me to educate 5 muggles in 25 Patterson St about the magic of Potter...got a few of 'em educated atleast to the level where they knew Hermione and Ron's names, and some of 'em also got to personifying one of their friends as Peter Pettigrew!! Ok ...so Potter is always there in the menu of books..
  • LOTR - Started reading it in Aug 2005 and finished it just b4 the new year2006... come on...I was/am a 1st year grad student in a PhD program...and had tests every other weekend.. so i should be excused for the 6 months : 1 book ratio! B4 I read LOTR, I could never accept it if someone told me that Tolkien was the 'Ultimate Lord' and that even some ideas of Rowling's were inspired from Tolkien..But now, yes...I totally agree to that...Tolkien's LOTR is definitellly THE masterpiece. This does not make me loveeeee Potter or Rowling any lesser, but just my due appreciation to the genius of the 50's.
Eragon - And so now..I'm reading this book. I'm very impressed and inspired by the author Chritopher Paolini. I think his language and style of writing, as a mere lad of 19 is commendable. (He was 15 apparently, when he wrote the book). I definitely am enjoying the book..thanks to my sis (and bil) again. So while I have a deadline by when the book should reach the library...being saturday April 22, I have a few other things that I could read tooo...

2. Driver's license - Knowledge test
The story of failure and procrastination...Its funny how I've reconciled to the fact that I dont want a car at all..bcos I think I can't clear hurdle 1. Well, its more-so laziness and my tendency to dilly-dally thats stopping me from thinking positively about it. So I end up thinking..."oh no, those grapes are sour for sure!". But if I postpone it any more, I'm putting quite a few things at stake...most important being amity between my brother and me.. He's sparing no efforts to ensure that I appear and clear the test this time...Gud luck to him!! But ya..those efforts again begin with a deadline...a chosen date when Ill be sent to the gallows again - April 22 (He hopes!!)

3. A Test in a course
PS: Normal mortals - beware..cud be too much technical jargon. Those Piled Higher & Deeper..read on.
We are supposed to have a test in one of the courses in the subsequent week. And one of the topics for the test is -Danio Rerio & Xenopus Laevis as model organisms. A rather interesting piece of information about insertional mutagenesis in the zebrafish. The small lecture notes prompted me to probe into the topic this afternoon, while I was sitting jobless in my lab, with my prof's hawk-like eyes trying to see, if I was doing sumthing worthwhile or not. So after several partially-effective google and pubmed searches, I landed on a publication that spoke exactly about the Tol2 Transposon system and its use in gene trapping and transgenesis. Eureka!! I finally managed to comprehend what it all meant...differences between enhancer trapping and gene trapping, splice donor and acceptor sites, transgenesis and gene trapping...et al. So now I'm going through this compulsive disorder of finishing off that lecture completely...so I can rest in peace...and not think about it...
Once u tend towards the 'Ghotu' side...I guess its quite normal to go through what I'm going through ....U'll hate leaving something half done...Its like I either dont know AT ALL...or i know it ALL... so I soo badly waana complete that chapter of the course!!
PS: My bitsian peers ...pleaseee dont die after reading the afore- mentioned lines...Once a grad student ur life kinda changes..so please excuse me!!!

I'm sitting here trying to contemplate wat the order or priority list should be...only to realise that I haven't been doing any of the 3..All I've been doing is just methodically jotting down in my blog what to do... what wud be the ideal thing to read for the evening...And now..its almost 12.00 am...who'll want to sit and spend the evening/night reading while the bed's right beside you...extremely tempting....
Well anyways...sum day I'll realise that all this is just a pretext to do the one thing most bitsians loveee doing...Nothing. :)

11 comments:

Ramya said...

why does studying for an acadeimcf test even figure in the list?? you sure have become one big GHOTU no matter what you say! welcome to the blogging world!!:) hope you keep up the blogging enthu and post frequently!!:)

Nimmy said...

thanxxx ramya!!! i think the ghoting thing comes in..when ur suddenly given textual material after a lonngggg time :P ..am sure ull also be that way!!!! its fun in its own way tho!!

AJB said...

i love u dorling...:D
for loving JRRT...and his masterpieces...:)
welcome to the blogging world...
and i tend to agree with ramya...u have become one ghotu man!!!! :P
btw, xplain ur nom de plume s'il vouz plait!

AJB said...

btw....link me up da...:P

Nimmy said...

AJB...i have no idea wat those last few words.."btw, xplain ur nom de plume s'il vouz plait!" mean...pls explain urself..

AJB said...

and u gave ur GRE and u are in US and u are gonna advise me about GRE!!! :P :P :P
nom de plume - pen name
s'il vouz plait - if u please!

Nimmy said...

u c..i gave my gre in ENGLISH and not in french!!
my pen name...pashyaathmaanam..it means 'see your own self' .. its a sanskrit word which is split as pashyaami aathmaanam ...pashyaami meaning 'i see' and aathmaanam is 'in your own self"...

AJB said...

hmm..u didnt learn the origin of some of the words in ENGLISH which came from FRENCH, did u...no wonder u sucked at GRE!
btw, u been trying to ur own self for quite sometime now...anyresults?

AJB said...

"PS: My bitsian peers ...pleaseee dont die after reading the afore- mentioned lines...Once a grad student ur life kinda changes..so please excuse me!!!"

nice try....

Harini said...

Nice to see you joined the blogger's fraternity Nimmy! Semma Ghotu pola irukku! kanlendhu rathame vandhuduthu seeing the list you were bound to prioritise!

Nimmy said...

hey harini....(sorry i cant get ur blog id!!) i neverrr imagined that I out of all ppl would write a blog about books n stuff!!! neways..as i said.."once ur a grad student..ur life kinda changes..so pleaseeee excuse me!!!" :)