Tuesday, June 26, 2007

athiradeee kaaran...

A true Thalaivar fan cannot NOT whistle/scream/cheer when they c their superstar on screen. And well I being a hardcore Rajini fan, and sumone trained at the art of whistling (I don't care even if I brag about it..I know for a fact a lot of guys cudn't whistle..i mean 'seeti adikkardhu!!"), thats precisely wat I did when I saw the Boss for the 3rd time on screen on Saturday. And come on, thalaivar in the climax scene and the 'bajji kadai' scene ABSOULTELYYY rock. I mean the whole point of his flying in air for 2 mins and then landing on the ground, is only so that the fans can scream hysterically and cheer and worship him as he defies all laws of gravity! And I don't see any No-No's in displaying that passion and enthusiasm and excitement. But unfortunately not everyone in the theater felt the same way.. You expect people to realise that they are at a SuperStar's movie where ppl are bound to go craazzzyyyy (ofcourse within limits), and a lot of ppl infact pay to come to the theater and watch the crowd. However this time, and probably the first time in my life, I ended up having an argument with a pair of oldies in the theater.
I come out of the dark theater hall completely satisfied with my experience and I hear a pair of aunties (mite be 40-45) say... "Idhunga lam padikka varudha, velai panna varudha, illa whistle adikka varudhungala nnu therialai". I turned back to c who they were commenting about, and saw them looking at me with a kinda D look! I just walked out thinking..ok forget it. No point arguing here. I come out into the hallway, where the pair of them again give me the "look". I returned the D-look just as dutifully without saying a word...and walked out of the theater towards my car. My friends and I were standing outside discussing if it would be worth the experience to go for Sivaji in telugu, and after all the discussion, while my friends left, I saw the aunties inside. As I walked towards my car, I had this huge desire in me to go and talk to those aunties and find out wat their problem was in life. Honestly, I wudnt have cared if it were a bunch of guys jus passing a comment, but AUNTIES..mebbe a decade younger than my mom. I mean I REALLY wanted to know wat their purpose was in passing that comment.
So I wait for them to come outa the theater and confront them...

Me: Aunty, enna pathi edavdhu comment adicheengala??
Aunty/Aunties : Yen ammam..naanga edhuvum thappa sollaliye! What were u doing in the theater??
Me: Naan edhuvume pannaliye. I was jus sitting my place and whistling. And I was not the only one in the theater that did that!!
Aunty: Ya I know. But do u know the theaters a mess???
Me: Well, I dint tear any papers or fliers or anything. I was only sitting where I was and screaming and whistling.
Aunty (and now an uncle joins in..actually 2 uncles) : When u come for a movie, its a public place u should let the others watch the movie, not scream and shout.
Me: Aunty, neenga vandhirukardhu Superstar Rajini oda padam. Idhu oru youth movie. Inga vandhuttu whistle adikaadhey, kathadhey nna yaarum kekka maatanga!! Unga generation a yum enga generationa yum compare pannadheenga.

Inga daan seriaanaaaaaaa logic vuttaru andha uncleee...

Uncle: One second, This is the United States of America. People come to movies for some peace of mind. Do u scream like this at english movies???
Me: yes uncle, i do. At movies like Harry Potter and other youth movies I do. see peace of mind kku daan u have the comfort of watching the movie at home in a DVD. neenga public place kku vandhuttu adhuvum our youth padathukku vandhuttu kattadhey nnu sonna, its ridiculous. And well watever be it, those comments u passed were completely unwarranted.

Me to me: Yow, enda orru nyayam ya idhu...india la madras la thalaivar padathula whistle adikkalam thappu illa. Aana US of A la tamizh padathula whistle adicha thappu. Asingamaaana logic!! Theater nadatharavane onnum sollalai about the movie and the screaming...ivanga eppadi appidi oru comment pass pannalam!

Uncle: Illa..let me finish...
Me: Illa uncle, I dont think u need to finish what ur saying. Cos I dont think it matters or its gonna make any difference. Neenga solli its not gonna affect me in any way. ungalakku appidi comfort venumna veetla okkandhu padatha paarunga, velila vandhuttu ellarayum neenga expect pannara maadri nadakanum nnu expect panna deenga. And for hte last time, its a rajinikanth movie...

We ended the fite here and walked towards our respective cars. Meanwhile my friends came back wondering wat I was doing...and so did a lot of other students in the crowd, wondering why a GIRL was arguing like this..

Now honestly, I think the bigger problem was bcos I am a girl and I was whistling and screaming my lungs out. I dont think they would have bothered to pass a comment about all the guys that were in the theater doing the same thing that I did. But ponnu na panna koodadhu nnu avangaloda karuthu.. adhu yen?? I mean Im not here to justify an issue of gender bias or sumthing. And am not sumbody who goes about picking up an argument with every oldie I c..and not that i disrespect them, but the point that irritated me was when they said.. This is the US ofA..inga idhellam panna koodadhu!! Wat crap???? appidiye america naatu janathipathi ivanga lam!!

ennamo..thalaivar pera solli sandaye pottachu! orey adhiradee kaalam daan!! :) Avanga logic suthama sahikkalai..enna porutha varikkum naan pannadhula enda thappum illa! My only big wish...I wish they sit NEXT to me during dasavatharam/varanam aayiram or the next vijay movie, so I can show them how to whistle too!!
Jus found it very amusing!! :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahhahhahaha...

Nimmy..!!!...Living up to our name and expectations...Nothing new to us...isnt it...;)

Blahblah said...

dei iyerae... unaku whistle adike theriyuma???!

Unknown said...

Raasa...unakku teriyuma..???!..:P

Stallion said...

HAHAHAH...hilarious post....andha uncleukku peace of mind venumna...vivekandha gurukulathla poi karumbu juice saaptuttu meditation panna sollu. Watta comedy guy. U know wat u should have dun....when the aunty passed that comment...u should have turned back and said..." aaannn...naanga whiste adikka thaan varom "...LOL!! I liked the post.:)

Ramya said...

haha..:) i laugh every time i read this post nimmy.. che..naanum irudha rendu berum sendhu sandai potirkalam..:)) enna solre??:)

Jay Jayakeerthy said...

If i remember right .. viki taught you how to whistle .. Am i right ?